It comprises the Indian Ocean coastal strip with the capital city at Mombasa.
Beautiful beaches, superb diving and its own unique character combine to make the Kenyan coast the perfect end to a safari through Kenya.
Go deep sea fishing at the home of the Striped, Black and Blue Marlin, Sailfish, Broadbill, Mako, Tiger and other sharks, Wahoo, Yellow fin Tuna, Dorado, Giant Trevally among others.
The scuba diving, snorkelling and tag-release sport fishing here is among the best in the world. The area’s secluded resorts and villas are the ideal place to relax after the rigours of a Kenyan safari.
- Diani lies about 19 km south of Fort Jesus, Mombasa. The fort, built by the Portuguese in 1593 – 1596 to the designs of Giovanni Battista Cairati to protect the port of Mombasa, is one of the most outstanding and well preserved examples of 16th Portuguese military fortification and a landmark in the history of this type of construction.
- Famous for beautiful and safe beaches, as well as spectacular diving, fishing and surfing.
- South of Diani is where you find Wasini Island and the Wasini Marine National Park, one of the best snorkelling places in Africa.
What should I bring with me?
Your curiosity and sense of adventure, an open mind and enough memory cards for the camera! As a general guide, comfortable and casual clothing that you can wash and wear is recommended while on safari. Muted colours are best for game viewing. Game drives are generally conducted in the early morning and the late afternoon, which can be cold, especially in winter. The temperature often warms up during the day, so it is best to dress in layers.
The most practical items to pack for your Kenya safari are:
- Clothes in khaki, green, beige and neutral colours
- Long-sleeved shirts that offer protection from the sun and mosquitoes
- Shorts or a light skirt
- Jeans or safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- Jackets and sweaters for early morning and late afternoon game drives
- A lightweight waterproof jacket in case of rain
- Swim and beachwear
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, insect repellent, moisturiser and lip salve
- Binoculars and camera equipment
The luggage allowance on small flights is usually limited to a maximum of 15 kg (33 lbs), which includes hand luggage, so please bear this in mind when packing. Most lodges and camps provide a same-day laundry service for your clothes.
Experience the luxury of Kenya’s beaches while on safari thanks to Image Travel. Check out our handpicked selection of Kenya beach holidays.